Thursday 4 February 2010

As I suspect many people around the UK have been, I've just finished watching the second episode of the new series of Skins. Some moving scenes and nice to see an extension of the suicide in the first episode. I think if only for the more emotional scenes, Skins should be celebrated. Throughout one single program one can feel any range of emotions from mind-fucked euphoria, to happiness, to fury, to heart-break. There aren't many other programs that can portray this much or this strongly and that is precisely why I love it so much. The storyline can occasional stray into the not-quite-so-realistic but I think what flows beneath the surface is more real than critics like to believe. I still need to rewatch the first series, only having seen snatches and parts online, and after that go through the second series again just to see if it really is that much better than the third and fourth series' or if it's just fond memories. I really think, however, that the fourth series can blow away the third series' mediocre reception. Even I personally found it hard to connect to the characters and storylines in the third series but the first two episodes of this one look promising.

Maybe what I'm missing from my life is colour film. I play a lot with digital colour trying to replicate often what I see on TV and in films but maybe this can only be done with film. Maybe these emotions and feelings and dreams I see in my mind can only be trapped in the emulsions of film rather than in digital. I need to get myself another film camera it seems (I have two already, however one (the better one) is broken and the other feels like a toy in my hands.) I want an old Pentax or another Konica and maybe then I can start realising my desires of beauty through film. This seems like a good experiment. My exam project for photography in college will most likely be set around 'colour', which I think would be a good excuse to buy up an old camera and get shooting the colours I see in my crazy mind. Large colour film prints are simply stunning and nothing can beat them in terms of feel and colour. Especially when shot with a good 50mm prime the out of focus areas can be wonderful swirls of colours. Dynamic range is vastly improved over digital also. I'm rambling now I feel, which is a shame as my thoughts aren't as collected as usual.

I need to sleep again. I think I'm going to scour eBay for some cameras before I drop off though. Goodbye for now, and lets hope I can get my scattered mind together enough for a decent post tomorrow.

So long, So love.

No comments:

Post a Comment